As this year of uni is almost over I thought some people may still be looking for student housing. As I, at first was new to looking around houses and choosing my accommodation for the upcoming year, there are things I didn’t think to ask the estate agent or look for. To stop anyone from choosing the lowest of the low of student housing I thought I would share with you some tips.
1) Check the water pressure.
Yes this probably sounds boring but as you are being shown around a house ask what the water pressure is like. The estate agent will be more than willing to show you and trust me waking up at 7:00 am in winter and having to stand under a trickle of water is NOT my idea of fun.
2) Ask what the neighbours are like
I currently live next to a large family with a LOT of children and they like to argue a lot. I thought us students student where supposed to be the noisy one’s.
3) Try to choose a house that isn’t on a busy road
When I’m not being kept awake by the family next door, I am by the loud cars driving past.
4) If your moving in with a group of people and there is a room that nobody wants don’t choose that house. You will be the one stuck with it.
5) Ask if the property has ever had a mouse problem.
Yes you heard me, a mouse problem! Which is what my student house has had for a while before we moved in and no one bothered to tell us! We soon found out though when we saw mice running around. So trust me you must ask this question!! It’s not fun walking into the kitchen and seeing some poor little mice caught in a trap.
6) Try to choose somewhere close by to the uni or the library
You will have to spend a lot of time at these places. It’s a lot less painful when it’s only a 5 minute walk.
Hope these tips save you from the uni house from hell. Hopefully my house next year will be a lot more pleasent.